Saturday, May 19, 2018

Translating titles

Many of us who portray non-English personae in the SCA like to translate our titles into our persona's native language. I've tried this in the past, but the more "obscure" (at least to English speakers) the language, the more likely people will misinterpret the name-- I tried Sayyidah for awhile as the Arabic translation of Lady, and a few thought it was my name. I finally stopped using it.

Now that I'm a Lancer, though, and that title in particular carries more meaning for me, I'm looking into a translation for it. What I have found so far is "Ramaha." Again, if I use it without explanation it's liable to be mistaken for my name, but it's still fun to do the research and mentally try to project myself back to the time and place where, in an ideal circumstance, I might have been styled as such....

No comments:

Post a Comment